Saturday, September 27, 2008

The Vision

On 7/5/08, I started to write a post:

What do I want to do with my life?

Other than someday being a wife and mother, I would very much like to work with children and use my accounting skills to help kids in Africa. Although, if you've been reading this blog for -- well, ever, the latter part of that statement has been made very clear. I also want to help my community, like small local businesses/organizations with tax preparation, consulting, and everything else financial. I also want to serve those who would otherwise not be able to afford a qualified accountant. I want experiences so as to build up my resume - not to impress the reader, but to assure the person that I have been adequately prepared to an outstanding job.

Sometimes... I think it's too much. However, I hope and anticipate that these will all work out somehow or another.

----------

I remember being in a very somber mood when I wrote that - with many anxieties plaguing my mind. Ironically, however, I am not anxious at all about my future. Walking to my car yesterday after the BAP BBQ I thought to myself, "Wow... I am exactly where I'm supposed to be." This indescribable assurance had come over me - I am SURE that this is what I want to do with my life. (What is "this"?, you might ask. "This" is using my degree to help kids in Africa... and people who "can't help themselves.") And I am also SURE that it will all work out.

When I wrote that, I was determined to do everything "financial," but a good friend and common sense hit me with the hard truth: I CAN'T. I can't do EVERYTHING.... and that was a really difficult thing for me to deal with, but it has settled in my mind and now.. well, now I'm actually okay with that. Actually, I'm very happy and content with not being able to do everything because then it means I can focus on what I'm good at and not have to be nearly as stressed out! =)

Seeing all the opportunities in front of me, all the ways that Foster is going prepare me for exactly what I want to do, hearing about firms who have the same vision and mission as I do, potential leads that would lead to a job position at those firms..... I've this strange (but wonderful) sense of anticipation for the next three years. I'm okay with graduating "late" and I see it as an opportunity to learn more and more and more.. to meet more people and hear different ideas and be exposed to different environments... I am very, very much looking forward to it all. I can't believe I'm here.... but I'm exceedingly thankful that they let me in! =)

Jessica K. Nguyen
Accounting, Finance Class of 2011
Michael G. Foster School of Business
University of Washington, Seattle
accountingforAfrica.blogspot.com

No comments: